What Is Acupuncture?
Dating back thousands of years as part of Chinese medicine, acupuncture can treat a wide variety of maladies, pains, and discomforts in just about every part of the human body. Acupuncture treatment affects both specific issues as well as the entire body itself by way of the parasympathetic (rest and
heal) nervous system. It aims to restore the body’s natural balance enabling the ailments to heal on their own. The insertion of small, single use needles are used to stimulate this action. You have the easy part, lay back and take a nap and let the acupuncture do it’s work for 30-60 minutes! Acupuncture is also extremely safe, free of negative side effects, and often can be used as an alternative or adjunct to conventional medical treatment.
What Can Acupuncture Treat?
Acupuncture can have a positive effect on most any condition both acute and chronic. Some of the primary issues we see regularly and have good effect with include:
- Stress, anxiety, depression, grief and emotional support
- Respiratory challenges: acute or lingering cold symptoms, sinusitis, asthma, frequent colds or flus, allergies
- Headaches and migraines
- Digestive disorders: abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, nausea, colitis, IBS, Crohn’s disease
- Osteoarthritis: neck, back pain and other musculoskeletal issues (hand, elbow, shoulder, knee, hip, foot)
- Fertility, painful periods, hormone irregularities, PMS, PCOS, menopause
- Trigeminal Neuralgia, Bell’s Palsy, TMJ, muscle spasms, neuropathy
- Autoimmune disorders: hypothyroidism, Hashimoto’s, rheumatoid arthritis
- Skin disorders: eczema, psoriasis, acne, hives
- Addiction to carbs, sugar, alcohol, tobacco, etc.
- Fatigue, discomfort, nausea and other side effects associated with chemotherapy
Does Acupuncture Hurt?
You generally won’t feel much of anything with the needles. Most folks are pleasantly surprised how little they feel. If anything is ever uncomfortable, please let your acupuncturist know and they can make any necessary adjustments.
What will I feel after a treatment and how many times do I need to come?
In general, you can expect to feel relaxed for several minutes to several hours following an acupuncture treatment. Your acupuncturist will go over what to expect and a plan of treatment specific to your condition. Typically we like to see people 1-2x/week for a couple of weeks to begin.
What Else Should I Know?
It’s best to wear lose fitting clothes so that we can access up to your knee and elbow level. Any condition can be effectively treated in this manner.
We have earplugs if you’re particularly sensitive to noise as well as blankets. Although we find it best to relax and rest, you can bring a book, or a device with your own music also if you prefer.